Well, not really. I'm dual-enrolling at Calhoun Community College in calculus and physics. So I figured, why not blog about it? :) I was a little nervous about actually going to a college class this morning.
Okay. FINE. Quite a bit nervous. Being only 15 and having not had precal or trig yet... it scared me. A lot. But its turned out to be AMAZING! Not only do I have two amazing teachers (one of whom taught me honors high school chemistry two years ago) but it looks like the classes are going to be somewhat straightforward - whether the material is or not, we'll see. But even if its super challenging - its FUN! Who DOESN'T want to learn about quarks?
Ahem. If you are not a math or science person, skip this next paragraph. Else you shall be bored to tears. :) I just HAD to share my newfound appreciation for these little quark things...
Here goes. So, quarks are what we now believe to be the smallest that matter can get. Remember, we used to think that ATOMS were the smallest matter could get.... then we discovered that atoms were really made up of electrons, protons, and neutrons... and NOW we've discovered that protons & neutrons are really made up of QUARKS. There are 6 types of quarks... (do not laugh) called: up, down, strange, charmed, top, and bottom. NO I AM NOT KIDDING. So... now to get even more complicated :) The up, strange, and top quarks are charged +2/3. The down, charmed, and bottom quarks are charged -1/3. So a proton is made up of... two up quarks and one down quark, which equals +1 (the charge of a proton!). Additionally, a neutron is made up of... two down quarks and one up quark, which equals 0 (the charge of a neutron!). HOW COOL IS THAT?!?!!?
I'm done now :) Had to get that out, I'm sorry. So anyway, college is a lot more fun than I thought it would be! I know a bunch of people in both classes, plus we're allowed to bring drinks to class. :) It was quite a long day (I feel like this morning happened yesterday) but twas a good one.
Ahem. If you are not a math or science person, skip this next paragraph. Else you shall be bored to tears. :) I just HAD to share my newfound appreciation for these little quark things...
Here goes. So, quarks are what we now believe to be the smallest that matter can get. Remember, we used to think that ATOMS were the smallest matter could get.... then we discovered that atoms were really made up of electrons, protons, and neutrons... and NOW we've discovered that protons & neutrons are really made up of QUARKS. There are 6 types of quarks... (do not laugh) called: up, down, strange, charmed, top, and bottom. NO I AM NOT KIDDING. So... now to get even more complicated :) The up, strange, and top quarks are charged +2/3. The down, charmed, and bottom quarks are charged -1/3. So a proton is made up of... two up quarks and one down quark, which equals +1 (the charge of a proton!). Additionally, a neutron is made up of... two down quarks and one up quark, which equals 0 (the charge of a neutron!). HOW COOL IS THAT?!?!!?
I'm done now :) Had to get that out, I'm sorry. So anyway, college is a lot more fun than I thought it would be! I know a bunch of people in both classes, plus we're allowed to bring drinks to class. :) It was quite a long day (I feel like this morning happened yesterday) but twas a good one.

wow. you are such a goober... but I love you anyways!! ha. :)
ReplyDeleteQUARKS!! So my physics teacher totally has a sign in her room that says "BEWARE OF QUANTUM DUCKS. QUARK! QUARK!" Just thought you should know. Love you!
ReplyDeleteLOL. Lauren that made my day! :)
ReplyDelete