Thursday, June 10, 2010

Book: Do Hard Things

I couldn't resist. I HAD to tell you guys about this book! I've read it through multiple times, and it's changed my life quite a bit. It's called...


Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris






This book describes the "Rebelution", which is a movement started by Alex and Brett - it is a teenage rebellion against low expectations.


Just think about this for me.


How many times have you ever received an assignment for a class that you really aren't all that interested in, and scraped by with the bare minimum? (I know I have many times.) In other words, you know that if you "did your best", you could make a **insert your top potential grade**. However, you don't want to put in the amount of work necessary for that grade, so you slack off -- and because of the low expectations in the class, you still passed, and with a decent grade! So what's the problem? Why do your best when your bare minimum is "good enough"?


The answer lies in this book. Do Hard Things talks about the Myth of Adolescence, which is what holds teenagers back in one of two ways - either to "flat-out brainwash you with low expectations... [or] happily paint you as an exception. In this case, being an exception means that compared to the irresponsibility, immaturity, and incompetence expected from teenagers, you are officially 'above average'.... However, this gold star reduces the chances that you'll ever live up to your actual potential."


We become COMPLACENT. And this is never a good thing.


So a lot of what this book talks about is how to AVOID complacency - and thereby "do hard things" for God's glory. It discusses other topics such as taking yourself out of your comfort zone, doing things that are too big to accomplish alone, how to do "small hard things" (that don't pay off immediately), how to go against the crowd...


All in all, a VERY good book -- one that I highly recommend reading. :)


The Rebelution Tour

2 comments:

  1. Love Love LOVE this book!! amazing and very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very inspiring, yes... but I guess I need to read that book, "start here." 'Cause that's really what this book was lacking - it was mostly an "Oh, yeah, you can do hard things! In fact, you SHOULD, or else you'll be just like everyone else! Right. So... good luck with that. Bye."

    Which is not to say that this wasn't a good book. They did write a follow up, after all. If "Start Here" didn't exist, that'd be another matter all together...

    ReplyDelete